BRIEF PROJECT DESCRIPTION
The project focuses on the creation of a regional observatory which will evaluate the oenological potential of the grapes of the Nemea region according to the sub-regions where they are grown. This will be possible using remote sensing and GIS techniques combined with chemical analytical methods that will reveal the influence of both abiotic and biotic parameters on the quality of Agiorgitiko wines. The chemical composition of the wines will be related to the microbial flora, soil and climatic parameters of each sub-region. All experimental wines produced from the grapes of the various subregions will also be organoleptically evaluated. The establishment of NEMEA PDO sub-regions will be implemented according to the principles of terroir using sophisticated techniques and will lead to more competitive wines.
SCOPE OF THE PROJECT
The object of the project is the development of a spatial observatory for the evaluation of the viticultural and winemaking potential of the PDO Nemea and the distinction of the PDO into spatial units (subzones-terroir) based on remote sensing technologies and geographic information systems as well as modern laboratory analytical methodologies that will contribute to the acquisition knowledge about the effect of abiotic and biotic factors in Agiorgitiko. This observatory will be used after its full development, by the Nemea PDO Winemakers’ Association and eventually by every winery in the zone to upgrade the quality of the products produced with significant economic benefits.
The project includes the development of a methodology for the application of land evaluation theory for the cultivation of Agiorgitikos, using geospatial technologies combined with modern laboratory analytical methods as well as non-spatial multivariate and spatial statistical analyses.
• The study and detailed inventory of the soil, climate and topographical conditions of the PDO Nemea using field work, laboratory analyzes and remote sensing data
• The investigation and mapping of the microbial flora of the Agiorgitikos variety by combining classical microbiological analysis with the state-of-the-art technology of metagenomic (phylogenetic) analysis
• The acquisition of knowledge of the aromatic potential of the variety by the application of innovative techniques for the isolation of the volatile components that form the characteristic aroma of the wines from Agiorgitiko. The evaluation of the volatile components regarding the effect of the grape plots under study on their content in the wines so that the classification based on the aroma of the wines is possible.
• The evaluation of the phenolic potential of the grapes of Agiorgitikos and of the wines produced.
• The evaluation through organoleptic analysis of the wines that will be produced through experimental micro-vinifications from selected fields.
• The evaluation of the abiotic factors for the cultivation of Agiorgitikos.
• The zoning of the PDO Nemea implementing terroir principles and using modern technological approaches of GIS, remote sensing and spatial statistical analysis.
• The development of a ripening observatory and spatio-temporal harvest prediction.